Monday, June 29, 2009

maudlin of the Well - Part The Second

Read my entire review on The Silent Ballet

I don't hear a lot of intention on this record. It can turn out gloriously and be wild and free, but here I feel like the band doesn't engage the listener. I hear a band that doesn't really care if the listener is there or not as they frolick amongst the cosmos, and we are totally free to hop on the ride and see what these people are doing. I do not hear an exchange. This makes my listening of the album a bit cold, even though maudlin of the Well are describing very warm places and experiences.Part the Second thus behaves as more of a monument to variety in modern musical styles, frenetically blending them wayward without consequence, like a god who does fantastic things without the regular consequences that befall all humans, rendering it less meaningful to us mortals. This album would totally slay live, but once committed to tape, it reminds me of someone describing a dream to me that I just can't care about.

No comments: