Monday, January 17, 2011

Zach Hill - Face Tat

Face Tat is Zach Hill's gazillionth release, but second under his own name. I really want to meet the woman on the cover (but not when she's igniting explosives). I reviewed this album, and at first totally loathed it. As it grew on me, I realized that it changed me, elbowing itself into my conscious realm of acceptance.

Explaining one’s own work is masturbatory. In an interview about Face Tat, Zach Hill said, “Just like with any art form, you’re expressing something that can’t really be expressed in any other form. We all have something in us that needs some other platform to get out. Talking about it defeats the purpose of even doing it in the first place. It’s a double standard because the entire reason you do it in the first place is because you can’t talk about it. I can’t even explain what I’ve got going on. That’s the whole point.” Funny how his inability to talk about his work is helping my analysis. It's a mixed bag, and the experience trumps an explanation every time. Depending on one's disposition, one will either need LSD or Aspirin while listening to this. The album is loud, in charge, strange: a challenging asteroid of rock and roll.

No comments: