Monday, September 7, 2009

Steven R. Smith - Cities

Read my entire review on The Silent Ballet.

From what can be ascertained about him, Steven R. Smith is a mensch, intentional and solid in his convictions, completely open to his beliefs changing at anytime. This open-minded attitude allows for the ease with which he picks up on Eastern European folk styles and incorporates them into a neo-American dream folk. He doesn't care about how particular instruments are supposed to be used. Traditions are interesting, but not a part of his experience. It's just music. In an American culture where we often jest, to our chagrin, about how there is no culture at all (only the blending of many), Smith delightfully blends a world of instruments and ideas into his own secret patch of the universe. Cities makes me want to cry, to believe in good people, to believe that the stories that I have to tell are important--more important than the ones that are being shoved down my throat by McCorporation Inc. every day of my life. This is essential music, and I recommend it.

No comments: